Whether the recent uncommon snowfall or the late January
gloom or the coming weekend or my perfunctory lesson plans were to blame, my students
were up to no good last Friday afternoon.
I had hardly begun writing the day’s lesson on the board
before one student complained that another had said a gros mot (swear word), hadn’t even finished the grammar course
before another had tipped over backward on his chair, and was not more than
half-way through explaining the assignment when a third boisterously refused to
stop hitting his neighbor with a notebook.
Whatever the cause of the afternoon’s fracas, I wasn’t going
to stand for it. So I set down my lesson
book and as sternly as I could manage, I put on a tough face and told the
little ones that the fun times were over and we weren’t going to do anything
else that day but they would sit and think about how they’d misbehaved and I
would think about what had gone awry and we were all just going to think and be quiet. The intoxicating part about speaking
French is that you can convey directives like this with so much more force than
in English.
There are some who think that being able to speak French
makes you more inclined to dribble love poems or craft lofty manifestos out of
thin air. The more likely truth is
that the French language is best for expressing all sorts of denunciations and
criticisms. There’s nothing like
the raving lunatic who hangs out around the town square on market day, spewing
vitriol in his southern patois while
protesting some new law or tax hike, all the while implicating you in his
charge. It makes you admire the French’s unashamed criticism of change.
So it was no wonder that admonishing a roomful of nine year
olds in rapid-fire French felt cathartic.
After about ten minutes of silence and supposed self-reflection, the
bell rang and my students grabbed their coats and backpacks and bolted outside,
cheering and whooping the whole way.
They were certainly not repentant and neither was I.
I walked down the street to a café and ordered an elfin espresso
and watched the people going home from work, and I felt fine. I took a few pictures of the
surrounding hills enrobed in rare snow, and then walked home along the
river. Like most of the small inconveniences
that come from living as an expat, I forgot all about the afternoon’s bedlam. I know my students well
enough by now to understand that they are good ones, if a little wild.
The following week, on Monday, I walked into the schoolyard,
the malaise of the previous Friday gone from my mind. As I struggled to close the old iron gate behind me,
students came running up until I was surrounded by a crowd ten or fifteen
deep. They pulled on my coat and
told me to wait for the others; there was something they needed to say. And then one by one they told me
they were sorry; that they loved my English classes and would do better next
time.
“I was so worried you were never coming back!” said one of
my favorites.
I told them all that of course I wasn’t going to leave just
yet; this village was home for me, as least for a few more months. We would all try not to let our
emotions get the better of us in the future.
After all, it is hard to stay upset or frustrated or angry
in this place.

3 comments:
American students would never behave as these French kids did. It just wouldn't happen. But maybe you could tell us a little about the demographics of your class. Rich, poor, immigrants, natives, etc.
More importantly, for those of us not familiar with the language, you need to more carefully explain why "French...can convey directives...with so much more force than...English." Because French has a special verb form that makes the sentence shorter and more trenchant?
And just for kicks: have these kids learned a damn bit of English under your tutelage?
You promised your readers an update today. What you're doing--getting people's hopes up then dashing them--it isn't right.
Words cannot describe how hurt I am that you have not updated your blog in more than three weeks.
Post a Comment